The Parliament Human Rights Tracker curates key human rights issues and discussions that happen in Plenary and committees. It tracks the actions taken by Parliament on the same. This is meant to monitor the work of Parliament in promoting Human rights. This information is also useful for public, media houses and civil society organizations doing human rights work.
20th – 22nd August 2019
- Right to Education
- On the failure by Kyambogo University to release results of students of Nazigo Primary Teachers’ College who sat Grade III exams in 2018; raised by Hon. Ntende Robert, Bunya County South.
The Speaker directed the Minister of Education and Sports to address the plight of the affected students and report back to the House on Thursday 29th August 2019
- Right to life and personal liberty
- On the concern of the West Nile Parliamentary Caucus on the alleged threats to the life of Hon. Evelyn Anite, Koboko Municipality MP and Minister of State for Finance in charge of Privatization and Investment; raised by Hon. Alioni Yorke Odria, Aringa County South.
The Speaker guided that Hon. Anite Evelyn should consider raising the matter herself
- On the delay by Government to release the report on investigations into the death of the former Woman Representative for Butaleja District, Hon. Cerinah Nebanda; raised by Hon. Mwiru Paul, MP Jinja Municipality East and responded to by the Deputy Attorney General, Hon. Mwesigwa Rukutana.
- On the hailstorms that ravaged Asuret Sub County, Toroma County, Katakwi District; raised by Hon. Koluo Joseph Andrew, Toroma County.
The Speaker directed the Minister of Disaster Preparedness to respond to the emergency and report to the House on Thursday 29th August 2019.
- Right to Health
- Hon. Najjuma Sarah, Nakaseke District Woman MP raised concern on the negligence of health workers at the Military Hospital in Bombo and its devastating consequences on the lives of patients.
Responded to by the Minister of State for Defence, Hon. Okello Engola Charles (Col.).
- On the deplorable state of adolescent reproductive health service delivery; raised by Hon. Sentongo Robinah Nakasirye, Kyotera District Woman MP.
The Speaker directed the Minister of Health to respond to the matter on Thursday 29th August 2019
- The Minister of Health, Hon. Aceng Ruth Jane presented a statement on government interventions to ensure constant water supply in health facilities.
- Right to own property
- Hon. Kahunde Hellen, Kiryandongo District Woman MP presented a Petition of residents of Kikungulu, Nyamutende and Ndoyi villages in Kiryandongo District on the illegal, fraudulent sale and transfer of land comprised in Ranch 22, Block 8, former North Bunyoro Ranching Scheme.
The Petition was referred to the Committee on Physical Infrastructure
- Right to respect for human dignity and protection from inhuman treatment
- On the brutality meted by armed personnel of the National Forestry Authority against the residents of Kyamuhunga, Mitooma district, bordering forest reserves; raised by Hon. Magyezi Raphael, Igara County West.
The Minister of State for Environment, Hon. Kitutu Mary undertook to investigate the matter and report during the week of 27th – 29th August 2019.